Monday, May 11, 2009

My Eyes Just Exploded


I just could not help but share this link with the world, it is pretty popular on dig at the moment but its not the most popular. It is however so frightening that I can't help but write about it. So without further ado, this weeks sort of most popular digg article is..................The Most Intense Website Intro Ever!

I thought the flash intro had died along with dial-up modems, but I am now starting to see them with increasing frequency. This is only an extreme example of the horrors that can be found on an increasing number of websites. Horrifying, seizure causing, jaw dropping, over the top flash intros.

The thing that gets me the most is that flash intros serve no purpose whatsoever. If a site can't excite you on its own, then it doesn't have exciting content. It would be like getting a presents for Christmas that is the shape of a dirt bike when its wrapped, but when you open it up its just a sweater. In fact, the only reason I can think that a flash intro is appropriate to instruct people in the use of the site, but even then, if the site is so complicated as to require instructions then it is a poorly designed website.

I feel as though the growth of this new trend is purely driven by the idea that people, like crows, are instinctively attracted to shiny things, and I think it has no place in any effective webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment